Monday, August 17, 2015

So, I Bought Headphones... Hehe =D

I've been looking into audio quality lately and after going through about 5 or so headphones (all under RM100 btw), there has always been a moment, when listening to each, where I felt like "there's something missing here" or "does it actually sound like that?". I listen to music a lot, and sometimes your ears get extra sensitive, when you wake up in the morning, for example, and I can hear a bit more detail in my songs. You'll have this 'aha!' moment when you discover that actually the songs you've been listening to has more instruments that the ones you are hearing currently. This is due to the quality of music you're listening to, the audio player you're using, and lastly the headphones you're using. As long as you're playing music with the bitrate of 192kbps or higher (given that the song is not of live recording or youtube quality) with studio quality, all the detail should be there, my songs are usually at 320kbps and I'm currently transitioning to lossless quality, all the detail should be there, higher quality audio just sounds crispier and more apparent with the added "airyness" of lossless audio that actually gives you a feel of the space of the room the audio was recorded in. This is all I have realized over the years of listening to songs.

Long story short, I wanted to experience the song or music in its full glory, no sounds hidden behind loud thumping bass, or instruments that come and go without knowing when they were actually introduced (the story on the journey, I shall put in another post, should I actually get around to it, haha). So after always going for the cheap headphones or buying something "that offers good quality audio for its price", I've finally made the decision to actually invest in actual studio grade headphones. The price of which based on my many readings started at around 100 USD, which in my currency was about RM300-400 (more towards 400 thanks to the government now). The reasoning was, I might just keep on buying cheap headphones, hoping that this one would be the one which actually gave me what I wanted to hear. I'm not saying the headphones I bought previously didn't, they did, but always to an extent. Like I said, always something missing.

And now, I have these~


THE AUDIO TECHNICA M40X!!! (trumpet sounds~)

I did extensive readings for headphone recommendations, all around 100 dollars. I even watched a few video reviews. All of them either recommended these or said that these were a great choice. I read reviews on the M40X's, they were all unanimously in favor of headphones! So I was like "I had got to get me some of these!" This is a short post, as I haven't got to writing down my thoughts on these, but so far, I can only say good things about these, the detail is stupendous, the bass is nice, thumpy and full, the treble is detailed and beautiful and the vocals, warm and forceful, I can't even say more, you'll have to listen to these to really get a feel of how good they are! Of course now that your interest is piqued, I thought I'd just give you the unboxing experience:


The box these come in, minimal designing yet screams quality.


They won't let you see the headphones first, I get it, hold the suspense a bit longer


The various reading material and leather pouch to carry these around~



The headphones!


The cylinder above these headphones house the cables; 


One straight 3.5m cable and one 3.5m coiled one, gold plated connections with an adapter for HQ audio 


The leather pouch that goes along with it


And finally, just to highlight that these headphones have a locking mechanism for the audio jack, so you can't pair these with other wires, great to know a sudden jerk won't wear out the connection

And that's it! Have a blast and keep listening to music~

They were RM360 in case you were wondering, I bought them online at lelong.com and this is written in small font in case my parents read this

No comments: