Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Xperia Z, the dream phone I've always wanted

Ahhhh, I still remember the time I first watched the ad Sony had posted on their new flagship phone, the Xperia Z and it was quite literally the phone I've had always dreamed of! Here's the ad.


I know this post is a tad bit late, but the story behind my liking of smartphones stemmed from when I was going to get my very own smartphone. The start of that story was what led to me reading up and comparing smartphones. My first thought was, what did this all mean? They had a long list of specifications, all from the processor to the display to the camera to the battery life. I had my own share of homework to research those and alhamdulillah, now, I can practically understand why that phone is good or bad and also know whether the company is just outright cheating you out of your money. It was with this research that I've settled for my current smartphone, Xperia Sola. But quite enough about that, before this interest, I did imagine a world where smartphones would just be one transparent slab of glass that could magically show images. And those images would be inside the glass slab, just floating there.


Something like the walkman here, except you can see through the glass and you could never tell where the screen started or where it would end. Then, Sony just had to release this gem,


Yeah, go back to my imagined phone and the only thing lacking here was the transparent glass slab but EVERYTHING else was in line! And after understanding a smartphone's specifications, it just got better, at the time of its release, this topped any other phone compared to it. It had a quad core processor, clocked at 1.5 ghz, a full HD 1080p display, the Samsung S3 had a 720p display and a whooping 13 mp camera. Yeap, and just to make things better, it was water resistant, YOU COULD FRIGGIN DUNK THIS THING INTO WATER

But of course when reality struck and I started reading reviews of this thing, you just had to come to realise that nothing is perfect. This phone had a washed out screen when tilted just a bit (who views the phone at an angle anyways) and the camera didn't deliver like people wanted it to (I still think its a good camera) plus the phone's speaker was tiny (both speakers, I blame waterproofing). You might think that I'm biased and I agree with you, I am, because this phone was something I had dreamed of when I was a kid and Sony just made it come true. This does not mean I disagree with its flaws, in fact, I'm frustrated that Sony pulled some punches with this device that was supposed to rival the HTC Butterfly, HTC One, Samsung S4, iphone 5 and Oppo Find 5. So Sony, get your game up and fix what people didn't like, and next time, no more pulling punches... Promise? =)

No comments: